Without doubt, coconut oil is one of the most popular ingredients used nowadays. We frequently read about coconut oil on the internet, but in magazine papers as well. This is because coconut oil is abundant in nutrients, antioxidants, and fat-soluble vitamins and it has been used for different cosmetic purposes for centuries. It is known to moisturize the skin and to better the hair quality. If you still have doubts about its benefits, take a look at the list below with more than 100 one-of-a-kind benefits of this amazing oil.
The Best Uses of Coconut Oil
Cosmetic products that contain coconut oil are one of the most effective ones because of their long shelf life, but also because of their potent antioxidant and anti-aging properties. Therefore, do not hesitate to use coconut oil for the wellbeing of your hair and skin.
- Lowers wrinkles- apply some coconut oil onto the affected area to soften the skin and lower the occurrence of wrinkles.
- Detangles the hair- apply some coconut oil onto the tangled area and leave it on for several minutes and then comb the hair carefully and gently.
- Speeds up the hair growth- besides speeding up the hair growth, it will also make the hair stronger and lower its breakage.
- Reduces puffiness in the eyes– apply some coconut oil around the eyes before going to bed to reduce the puffiness in the morning.
- Hydrates the skin- mix coconut oil with other essential oils and use it anywhere on the body for aromatherapy effects.
- It conditions the hair- if you regularly use coconut oil for the hair, you will moisturize the scalp, repair split ends, make the hair glow, etc. For this, you need to put two tsp of coconut oil in a container and then put the container in a large bowl with boiling water to melt it. Then, apply it onto the hair roots or scalp and wrap the hair in a towel. After one hour, rinse it as usually.
- Lowers dandruff- melt a small container of coconut oil and apply it onto the hair. Leave it overnight and rinse it off in the morning.
- Makes a great aftershave lotion- instead of using your regular aftershave lotion to soften the skin after the procedure of shaving, apply some coconut oil.
- Protects the skin from the harmful UV rays- put a bit of coconut oil onto the palms and run the fingers through the hair several times.
- It softens the lips– apply some solidified coconut oil onto the lips to heal the cracks and moisturize them.
- It exfoliates the skin- melt half a cup of coconut oil and mix it with 4 tsp of brown and white sugar and stir the mixture. Pour the mixture into small cups and put them in the fridge. Whenever you need an exfoliator for the skin, slice a small piece.
- It exfoliates the facial skin- mix equal amounts of coconut oil and baking soda and use it as a facial exfoliator to eliminate dirt and brighten your complexion.
- It makes a great facial mask- for a beneficial facial mask, mix a bit of coconut oil and a tbsp of raw honey and apply it onto the face on a regular basis. Leave it on for 20 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water.
- It exfoliates the feet- mix some coconut oil with coarse salt and scrub the feet with the mixture and then rinse them off.
- It softens the elbows- if you have a rough elbow skin, rub it with some coconut oil to soften it.
- It heals cracked feet– rub the feet with some coconut oil to nourish and soften them.
- It is good for the nails and cuticles- apply coconut oil onto the nails and cuticles to encourage nail growth and to soften the cuticles.
- It cleans mascara brushes- before cleaning of your mascara brushes, soak them in coconut oil for 10 minutes.
- It makes the eyelashes longer– to achieve this, swab some coconut oil onto them.
- It can be used as a cheekbone highlighter- after doing your makeup; do not forget to add some coconut oil onto the cheekbones to emphasize them.
- It exfoliates the lips- to do this, rub the lips with 2 tsp of sugar and coconut oil mixture.
- It makes the perfect oil for massage- use a mixture of ¼ cup of coconut oil and several drops of some essential oil as massaging oil.
- It can be a great makeup remover- add several drops onto a cotton ball and cleanse the skin with it in circular motions and then rinse it off with warm water.
- It can be used as a bath oil- add several drops of coconut oil to your warm bathwater, but first, make sure you melt the oil in a cup. You can add other essential oils for a better aromatic effect.
- It makes a great lubricant- coconut oil is a completely safe lubricant, but you should not use it in combination with condoms.
- You can make lotion bar with it- mix a cup of shea butter, a cup of beeswax, and a cup of coconut oil in a mason jar and close the lid. Then, place the jar into a bowl of hot water so that the mixture melts. Then, remove it from the water and wait for it to cool down and add a tsp of vitamin oil.
- It can reduce cellulite- to reduce the visibility of cellulite, apply coconut oil onto the affected areas.
- It can be used as a tattoo moisturizer- apply some coconut oil onto new tattoos to prevent itching and inflammation.
- It can be used to prepare a natural deodorant- mix some shea butter and coconut oil and then put the bowl in hot water to melt it. Then, add 3 tbsp of baking soda, 1 tbsp of vitamin E oil, and ½ a cup of arrowroot powder and then stir the mixture well and transfer it into smaller cups. Once it cools down completely, you can use it.
- Treats varicose veins- apply a thin layer of coconut oil onto the areas to lower their appearance.
- Lowers stretch marks– to decrease the visibility of stretch marks, rub some coconut oil onto the affected areas.
For cooking and in the kitchen
Coconut oil can be used as a cooking ingredient and as an ingredient for many other things in the kitchen. There are two types that you can find in stores, i.e. unrefined and refined. The former is also known as virgin coconut oil and it is taken fresh out of coconuts and it has not gone through a process of refining like the latter has. This process includes the usage of harmful chemicals and it should be avoided. These are some of the best uses of coconut oil in the kitchen:
- As replacement for butter- you can eat it with your morning toast or bagel instead of butter.
- As smoothie ingredient- feel free to add coconut oil to your smoothies to enhance the taste and to improve the consistency of the beverage.
- As cooking oil- you can switch from regular cooking oil to coconut oil because it is tastier and has a better texture.
- As pan greaser- this is a far healthier and safer variant than using other oils.
- As sweetener- you can use coconut oil instead of white sugar which has numerous negative effects on the overall health.
- As salad dressing- enhance the taste of salads and better the nutrient absorption by using coconut oil.
- As topping for popcorns- mix some Himalayan salt with coconut oil and put it on top of your popcorn.
- As dish cleaner for stubborn stains- lubricate the dishes that have hard stains with coconut oil to ease the cleaning process.
- As a preserver of eggs- add a thin layer of coconut oil onto the eggs so that they last longer.
- As tea or coffee creamer- mix 2 tbsp of coconut oil, 2 cups of warm coffee/tea, and 2 tbsp of unsalted butter and enjoy your coffee or tea.
- As an ingredient for homemade mayonnaise– mix a tbsp of lemon juice, a bit of mustard, 4 egg yolks, 2/3 cup of olive oil, and a 2/3 cup of coconut oil to make your own, healthy mayonnaise at home.
As a natural remedy
- As an energy booster- coconut oil is rich in triglycerides, also known as saturated fats.
- As a cure for Athlete’s Foot- mix coconut and tea tree oil and rub it onto the feet to relieve the discomfort and pain.
- As a bone strengthener– coconut oil will help your body absorb vitamins and nutrients easier. They are necessary for healthy bones.
- To treat hemorrhoids- apply a bit of coconut oil onto hemorrhoids to speed up the healing process.
- For aromatherapy– mixing coconut oil and essential oils is great for helping the body and mind to relax.
- To strengthen the immunity- add coconut oil to your daily diet to make the immune system stronger and more capable of fighting off diseases.
- To control your appetite- if you constantly feel cravings, eat one tbsp of coconut oil to suppress the desire for food.
- To fight off inflammation- because it contains lauric and capric acids, coconut oil is great for treatment of inflammation.
- To enhance the blood flow- coconut oil can better your circulation if you consume it regularly.
- To support the thyroid gland- the laxative characteristics of coconut oil can speed up the metabolism and soften stools.
- To aid digestion– take several spoons of coconut oil per day to better your digestion.
- To fight off arthritis- since it has anti-inflammatory characteristics, coconut oil is great against arthritis pain and discomfort.
- To treat fungal and yeast infection– add 3 to 5 tbsp of coconut oil to your daily diet to boost the body’s ability to fight off bacteria, parasites, viruses, and fungi.
- To treat acid reflux- if you suffer from frequent acid reflux, take 3 tbsp of coconut oil per day.
- To soothe bee stings-put several drops of coconut oil onto the affected area for immediate relief.
- To encourage weight loss- to achieve this, replace all other fats with coconut oil.
- To reduce bad cholesterol– coconut oil is known to increase the good and lower the bad cholesterol due to the presence of lauric acid in it.
- To treat coughs- mix one tsp of raw honey, a tbsp of coconut oil, ¼ of warm water, and drink the mixture to reduce the coughing.
- To heal sunburns- mix equal amounts of aloe vera gel and coconut oil and apply it onto the affected areas gently.
- To stop nose bleeds– rub some coconut oil onto the inside of the nostrils to stop the bleeding.
- To bring relief from eczema– apply coconut oil onto the affected area.
- To repel insects- rub coconut oil onto your exposed body parts to keep bugs and insects away.
- To treat toothache- soak a cotton swab in a mixture of equal amounts of clove and coconut oil and apply it onto the painful area.
- As natural toothpaste- to prepare your own, organic toothpaste, you should mix 6 tbsp of coconut oil, a bit of baking soda, and 25 drops of some essential oil and store it in an adequate container.
- To fight off allergies– soak a cotton pad in coconut oil and put it onto the nostrils.
- To soothe discomfort during chicken pox– rub some coconut onto the affected areas to reduce the pain.
- As mouthwash- swish several drops of coconut oil in your mouth to better the health of your teeth and gums.
- To prevent lice- pour a bit of coconut oil onto a comb and brush your children’s hair with it to keep lice away.
- To eliminate earwax- put few drops of coconut oil into each ear to ease the removal of earwax.
- To remove moles and warts- rub a bit of coconut oil onto the moles and warts on a regular basis until they dry off and fall down.
- As a breath freshener- to destroy oral bacteria, swish few drops of coconut oil for a couple of minutes.
For pregnancy and infant care
- To heal diaper rashes– apply coconut oil onto the rashes to speed up the healing process.
- As a nipple cream- in case your nipples are irritated and sore from breastfeeding, rub a bit of coconut oil onto them for immediate relief.
- To prevent morning sickness– if you are prone to morning sickness during pregnancy, take few drops of coconut oil to calm down and soothe your stomach.
- To moisturize the baby’s skin-you can massage the baby’s skin with coconut oil to keep it soft and smooth.
Miscellaneous household uses
- To clean rust- apply coconut oil onto the rusty elements and wait for couple of hours before cleaning them with warm water.
- To prevent snow from sticking onto the shovel– if you’ve cleaned snow with a shovel, you have probably noticed that the snow tends to stick on the shovel. To prevent this, rub the shovel with coconut oil prior to using it.
- To fix zippers– if you have a stuck zipper, apply a bit of coconut oil to unstuck it.
- To get rid of stuck gums- coconut oil can come in handy when you need to remove chewing gums stuck on shoes, carpet, or in the hair.
- To shine and clean leather shoes and bags– rub the item with coconut oil to make them shine as new.
- To remove stuck rings- just apply several drops of coconut oil onto the ring and pull it out nice and smooth.
THE HEALTHY FOOD LIFE and HEALTHY LIFE COMMUNITY