Lack of space is a common concern among enthusiast gardeners, especially those living in cities and small apartments. Dreams of having rows of flowers and veggies growing in your garden might have to be put on hold, but in the meantime, you can start improving your gardening skills with this simple method.
Growing plants in plastic bottles has been around for ages, but for some reason it is just becoming popular. Here’s a simple guide on how to make a garden hanging from plastic bottles.
Materials you’ll need are:
- Plastic bottles
- Lighter or matches
- Market, ruler, scissors
- Water resistant cover
Making your own hanging garden:
- Bottles should have an area in them cut out for the ropes to pass through
- Make the holes with nails
- Divide the rope into two long strips
- Thread the rope through the bottle
- Add a piece of tape to the bottom of the bottle
- Make two knots, one on the top and the other on the bottom
- Make sure you leave enough height between bottles so the plants can grow
- Pass the rope to the second bottle
Cultivating the first bottle should be done before adding another bottle on top of it.
Plants you can grow:
- Green peas
Plants with shorter roots are ideal for this planting method.
Some important things to note:
- The rope between bottles should be long if you’re planting climbing plants
- You should water your hanging water garden with a spray bottle and keep the soil moist.